BASIC BRUSCHETTA RECIPE (pronounced broos-ketta)
Country bread, thickly sliced
Olive oil in a bowl
1 clove fresh garlic
Toast bread in oven, both sides. A regular toaster is almost as good.
Brush olive oil on one side of the bread
Run garlic clove over bread and olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste. The Italians add red chili flakes as well. Enjoy!
TAKE 1: HEIRLOOM TOMATOES
2-3 heirloom tomatoes
1. Chop up heirloom tomatoes. The size is your choice and style.
2. Mound up on brushetta.
3. Add fresh basil sprig or small pieces of artisan mozzarella, as you like.
TAKE 2: EGGPLANT
1 small onion, cut up in ½ inch pieces
1 garlic clove, diced
1 heirloom tomato, diced.
1 cup eggplant, cut up in ½ inch pieces
1. Saute onion in olive oil. When translucent, add garlic and eggplant.
2. Cook on low heat until eggplant is crisp on outside and soft on the inside. Stir occasionally. Add tomato.
3. Mound up on brushetta.
4. Add fresh basil sprig or grated parmesan, romano or asagio cheese, as you like.